Application of chemical engineering principles to biological process. This includes development of high cell density fed-batch fermentaion process for production of recombinant proteins, high throughput protein refolding from inclusion bodies and design of vaccine delivery system using biodegrdable polymer particles.
Summary of Research:
(A) Fermentation research experiences on Yeast, Fungus, Plant Cells, Animal Cells, Insect Cells, Hybridoma, Viruses and recombinant E. coli for the production of biochemicals. Developed a novel high cell density fermentation process for production of growth hormone in E. coli (Indian patent granted and J. Biotechnology, 1999). Currently working on optimizing culture of Tcells in bioreactor for therapeutic applications.
(B) High throughput refolding and purification of recombinant proteins from E. coli. Developed novel ways of protein refolding from inclusion bodies of E. coli without using high molar concentration of chaotropic salts. Mild inclusion body protein solubilization process has been granted USA patent and the research paper published on the novel method (J. of Bioscience and Bioengineering, 2005) has been cited nearly 800 times till date as per Google Scholar.
(C) Development of vaccine formulation using biodegradable polymer particles. This involves formulation of different size polymeric particles for improved immunogenicity of candidate vaccines. Ten patent applications have been filed on novel applications of polymer particles based vaccine delivery systems. We have shown that use of biodegradable polymer particle leads to improved immunological memory from single point application. Currently exploring delivery of carbohydrate based vaccine and biomolecules using biodegradable polymer particles. Polymeric scafflold made from nanoparticles are being used for tissue engineering applications.
Having a master degree in chemical engineering from IIT Madras on 1986, I have been working on different areas of bioprocess engineering for last 30 years. I have experiences on all the three areas on biological manufacturing namely fermentation, downstream processing and formulation of biologicals. I do innovative bioprocess engineering utilizing basic fundamental rules of biology. I have significantly contributed towards for growth of plant cells in bioreactor for the production of secondary metabolites (1991) and have reported the very first study on high cell density recombinant fermentation from India (1995). I have reported the highest amount of recombinant protein expression among the earliest Indian studies (1999). Novel protein refolding methods developed by me has been accepted worldwide for high throughput recovery of bioactive protein from inclusion bodies of E. coli (2005). Because of my contribution on applications of chemical engineering principles to biological processes, I have been awarded the Young Asian Biotechnologist Prize from the Society for Biotechnology, Japan, for the year 2004. I have also developed innovative applications of polymeric particles based delivery system for generation of memory antibody response from single doses (2009) and have reported the generation of memory antibody response against carbohydrate antigens without conjugating them to a carrier protein (2014). I have the credentials of generating highest number of IPRs while working at National Institute of Immunology.
Total Research Publications: 145, Patents: 32
Research Presentations: 100, Book Chapters: 12
Technologies Developed: 15, Trademark Products: 3
Mamta, Priyank Singhvi, Juhi Verma, Rahul Ahuja
• Fellow of The Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), 2020
• Dr. GB Manjerkar Award of the Association of Microbiologist of India (2010)
• Tata Innovation Fellowship, Dept. of Biotechnology, Govt. of India (2009-2010)
• Research group awarded 3rd prize at the World Innovation Summit at Barcelona, Spain (2009)
• Research Group awarded 2nd prize at the Intel-UC Berkeley, Technology Entrepreneurship Challenge, UC Berkeley, USA (2008)
• Awarded Young Asian Biotechnologist Prize from The Society for Biotechnology, Japan (2004)
• Awarded DBT Overseas Associateship to work at Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA (2002-2003)
• Awarded Excellence in Scientific Achievements, from National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi (2001)
• Biotech Product and Process Development and Commercialization Award by the Dept. of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (2001)
• Awarded “SAMANTA CHANDRASEKHARA AWARD”, Orissa Bigyan Academy (2000).
• Award for the “Best scientific work leading to a product” from National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi (1990)